Why is My Chin Breaking Out?
WHAT CAUSES CHIN ACNE?
Chin acne happens and usually has many causes. Certain medications, vitamins, your diet, alcohol, stress, allergies, environmental conditions, sleep deprivation, poor skin hygiene, skin rubbing or hand resting, and your phone touching the area ,etc.
One of the most common contributors to chin acne, are your hormones.
This includes hormonal shifts or imbalances, including your period for women.
Why? The male hormones present in both men and women, testosterone, can stimulate the oil or sebaceous gland to over-produce sebum. Sebum, combined with excess skin cells, leads to inflammation, which can cause acne pimples, nodules or cysts
What Can You Do?
1. Use non-comedogenic products: What is that? This means non-pore clogging
If your skin is prone to breakouts use gentle skin care products and cosmetics.
2. Stop touching your face and keep your cell phone off your skin:
This will help keep bacteria and germs off your chin area.
Clean off your cell phone or anything else that touches your skin.
Avoid touching your skin altogether, and athletes need to clean and be careful of chin-strapped helmets and headbands, and anything that rubs on the chin and jawline.
3. Cleanse your skin twice daily:
Keep dirt, oil, and impurities off your skin by cleansing your skin twice daily with a gentle cleanser.
4. Wash your Pillow case at least once a week.
5. Shaving Tips for Men : Use a razor in a downward motion to remove the hair.
Prep your skin with shaving cream, which can help with the risk of cuts and irritation. Consider switching your razor for an electric razor.
6. No popping or squeezing your pimples!
This can lead to infection and the potential for a permanent scar.
7. If things don’t get better see a Board Certified Dermatologist, FAAD.