June is acne awareness month and I am getting so many questions about acne related to masks.
Maskne yes its a thing. Here are some of my tips to avoid breakouts.
1. Wash your face first: Dirt and oil on your skin will get trapped under the mask and can cause breakouts. Always put your mask on over a clean face. Choose a gentle cleanser that is fragrance free and oil free. I like hydrating cleansers or a good micellar water. Rinse with lukewarm water, not hot water. Avoid scrubbing or rubbing the skin.
2. Apply a good moisturizer: Moisturizer keeps your skin hydrated and acts like a barrier to friction from your mask. Choose one that is fragrance free and oil free. Look for protective ingredients like ceramides and hyaluronic acid. Avoid heavy products that can clog your skin and make you break out.
3. Skip the makeup: Don’t wear makeup underneath your mask. Masks act like occlusive barriers, which means trapped makeup can lead to clogged pores and breakouts. Also, residue from makeup can soil your mask fabric.
4. Wear only clean masks: Dirt and oil from your skin plus bacteria from your mouth and nose will end up on your cloth mask. Keep a rotation of masks on hand and wash them after every use.
5. Stick to fragrance free laundry detergent: When washing your mask, choose a fragrance free laundry detergent and lay flat to dry. Fragrance within fabric can be an irritant, so you definitely don’t want it on your face.